QF R&D organizes an annual forum that brings key stakeholders together in order to discuss and progress the QNRS.
In 2012, a consultation process with stakeholders was launched to convert the high-level strategy into a more specific set of opportunities and priorities, within the context of Qatar’s research and development portfolio.
In 2013, QF R&D facilitated a process to identify and articulate which of those many priorities could be defined as Grand Challenges facing Qatar. These challenges would be defined as multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional, and multi-sector partnership opportunities for advancing R&D solutions relating to them.
The four Research Grand Challenges identified, and the specific goals associated with each of them, are:
- Energy Security: Develop/deploy solar energy on Qatar’s Power Grid
- Water Security: Develop, refine, and adopt enhanced desalination/wastewater re-use capabilities
- Cybersecurity: Develop security technology to protect Qatar’s critical cyber infrastructure
- Health: Develop plans to tackle cancer and diabetes, and develop personalised medicine
The purpose of the 2014 QNRS forum was to:
- Seek input from stakeholders on Qatar’s Research Grand Challenges
- Strengthen and deepen relationships and partnerships with stakeholders
- Identify key action items related to the Research Grand Challenges
- Seek alignment in developing plans for each Research Grand Challenge