In the fields of engineering and technology, physical and life sciences, medicine, humanities, and arts and social sciences, QNRF applies a competitive and holistic selection approach in its support of original research. Programs and projects funded by QNRF are submitted by researchers of all levels of experience, and across the academic, public, and private sectors.
Research projects that succeed in being awarded funding will have the potential to benefit Qatar, through their capacity to:
- Enhance education and improve health
- Stimulate innovation
- Conserve valuable natural assets
- Create intellectual property
QNRF's competitive research funding programs take two forms:
- Unsolicited (or investigator-driven), such as the National Priorities Research Program (NPRP), NPRP- Exceptional Proposal (NPRP-EP) and the Junior Scientists Research Experience Program (JSREP).
- Solicited (or top-down calls), under the Thematic and Grand Challenges Research Program (TGRP).